domingo, 15 de septiembre de 2013

(ENGLISH) Exclusive Interview with Natali Karppinen for HIM Colombia!

   
Natali Karppinen.
Right after her international photography debut at Agora Gallery in New York City; we kindly asked the talented Natali Karppinen to share with us some insights of her work. From a bunch of questions she picked her favorite ones to answer and here they are. Enjoy!












* HC: When did you realize that photography was your passion; that it was going to be your profession?

 NK: I wasn't sure in this up until my 1st solo exhibition in Helsinki about two years ago. That was definitely the turning point for me and I knew then, seeing 20 of my works hanging on the walls that being a photographer is my calling and ever since then I’m on a mission to combine my love for music, fairytales and fashion and create a magical world of my own where I’m the story teller.


    * HC: Do you think living in Finland has made it easier for you to pursue a photographer career?

NK: No and yes. Back in my country, Croatia, people don’t take photographs as serious art, or something to invest in, so in that sense it has helped me to start my career here in Helsinki, but on the other hand, Helsinki is such a small city and at the same time very small market and there’s only that much that a photographer like me can do and with all due respect to other photographers, my mission isn’t to live out of taking school and wedding photos.


    * HC: What are the key elements behind planning the concept for your work? And how long does it take from the conception of the idea, to the actual photo shoot?

NK: The ideas or should I say inspiration is something unpredictable. I never know when the next idea is going to cross my mind and how much time I will need to develop it into something that can be used for the photo shoot.

Sometimes I have a huge flow of ideas and sometimes I have nothing “coming” for 2-3 months. I think that every artist can relate to this.

Once I have the idea worked out and a clear vision of how I want the photo shoot set to look like, it takes about 2 weeks to prepare everything, find and get all the props, book models, find a perfect location, etc.

There’s a lot of work put behind each photo shoot and I’m the main person who arranges 90% of the shoot, so at times it can get quite stressful, but there’s no such feeling as feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction after the photos have been shot and edited. 


    HC: What is your position towards the environment around the world of photography and how do you manage it on your work?

NK: I have encountered people that are doing their jobs purely for money and I’m just a number to them, but as in every other job, beginnings are always the hardest and you learn on your own mistakes, but then at the same time you’re much wise the next time you have to deal with these kind of people.

There can be manipulation and all sorts of bad things, but I try to always think positive, attract good things to me and stay away from the shady businesses.


* HC: How does it influence your work the fact that you were born in Russia, raised in Croatia and currently living in Finland?

NK: I get my inspiration from everywhere and being part of three completely different cultures, experiencing different cities of these three countries, meeting their locals… All of that has influenced me so there’s a mixture of mysterious and cold
Finland, passionate and melancholic Russia and hope for better tomorrow/ light at the end of tunnel Croatia in my works :-)


    HC: What’s your favorite kind of photography?

NK: My favorite kind of photography is Tim Walker’s. The one which tells a story, 
evokes feelings and confusion in the viewer’s
eyes. Hopefully someday my photography will be on that same level as of this magnificent photographer. 


 HC: Aside from an apparent friendship, what else makes Tuomas Holopainen to be a recurrent model for your work?

NK: The thing about photography is that if there’s no connection, that little “click” between photographer and the model, then the photographs aren’t going to reach their full potential.

I’m happy that there is this click with Tuomas and also after getting to know each other better he understands more what I want to say with a certain photo shoot and I feel very amused to push his limits and each time get his new face come out on the surface.


   
   * HC: From your own portfolio, what is your favorite piece, and why?

NK: My favorite piece is “Watch the world burn”. It’s very private work which shoves how I felt at the time

"Watch The World Burn"


   HC: It seems you’re a music lover; does this influence your work somehow?

NK: I’m a big music fan! I’ve always been and always will be. Music feeds my soul and it inspires me. Every time when I’m shooting or editing photos, I have a “soundtrack” on my iPod playing until I’m finished with the work.

Life without music would be horrible and not a single day passes that I don’t listen to my favorite bands, but I also like to discover new artists all the time. Lately I’ve been listening to a lot of UK bands such as Hurts and Florence and the Machine.


HC: As some great Finnish musicians are hosted in your photos, can we expect a HIM photo shoot one day?

NK: I have no idea. There’re no plans of doing something like that in the future.


   HC: What do you think of HIM’s latest album “Tears On Tape”? Do you have a favorite song; and if, why?

NK: I have listened to the album only once and I liked it. I don’t have a favorite song, but “All lips go blue” is a very catchy song and that’s the one that I remember the most off the album.


   
HC: Is this your first  time in NYC as a photographer? How did you manage to get a gallery deal from across the pond?

NK: Yes, this was my first time visiting NYC and exhibiting there. I was the one who approached the gallery after I saw that they had an open call for international artists to send in their works to be viewed and possibly selected for en exhibition. I did it and I got a reply back quite fast.
It was a very happy and proud moment for me because I know of some other Finnish artists that have approached the same gallery and they didn’t get accepted.


   
   * HC: What motivated you to be part of the “Portals of Perception” exhibition, and what do you have in common with the other artists that are taking part in it?

NK: I don’t think that I had anything in common with other 3 artists that were part of our group exhibition “Portals of Perception”.

I had no vote in when the exhibition was going to take place or which other artists were going to hang their works next to mine. After all I think that it worked out well for me, because all three artists were painters and I was the only photographer so in that sense it was easier to “stand out” for me. 

HC: What’s the essence of Natali Karppinen’s work?

NK: The core of my works is to make people stop for a moment, look inside their soul, evoke feelings in them that they might have forgot exist and hopefully make them a dreamers even just for a little bit.


    HC: After this international debut, what’s next for you?

NK: The next is to make a plan for the upcoming 6 months or so, make “near future” plans with my manager and then proceed with attracting new clients, more costumers, etc.
My big dream is to work for the biggest fashion magazines and shoot catalogs for the fashion brands and such as well as exhibit my works everywhere in the world.


   * HC: Are there any other places you would like to take your work to? What about Latin-America for example?

NK: One of my ultimate dreams is to one day exhibit my works everywhere in the world, including Latin America.

Let’s see what happens in the future, but I’ll do my best to bring my art everywhere I can.  

 

Special thanks to Natali Karppinen.
All pictures are property of Natali Karppinen.
*Agora Gallery’s exhibition “Portals Of Perception” profile: http://www.agora-gallery.com/artistpage/Natali_Karppinen.aspx
*Natali's fashion blog: http://lartoffashion.blogspot.com/


                                     

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario